Endometriosis which grows somewhere else other than the endometrium, also reacts to hormonal signals of the monthly menstrual cycle, building up tissue, breaking it, and eliminating it through the menstrual period. As we know hydrotherapy plays a very important role in treating certain kinds of diseases. In this article, we will discuss how hydrotherapy helps to treat endometriosis.
A. Water Hosing
Hydrotherapy– water hosing is one of many treatment provided by your hypnotherapist. It includes cold and hot water therapy and has been used to treat inflammation due to injure caused by physic impact.
II. How hydrotherapy– water hosing effects endometriosis
1. Cold water hosing
a) By applying cold water in the abdomen, it helps to reduce the activity of muscles in the region, resulting in reducing the menstrual pain caused by qi stagnation.
b) It is also said that water hosing decreases the temperature in the region, thereby it not only reduces the inflammation caused by damaging body tissues as resulting of strong physical impact but also helps to reduce the risk of endometrial implants and adhesion inflammation as well.
c) It is said for the best results, use approximately for 15 minutes at 2 hours interval. Applying the ice for too long period may damage the body tissues.
2. Hot water hosing
a) By applying the hot water to the abdomen, it helps to stimulate the blood flow to the region resulting in releasing the blood stagnation, thereby decreasing the heavy blood flow during menstruation, as well as reducing the menstrual cramps.
b) hot water hosting also helps to reduce inflammation caused by physical impact to the body tissues or endometrial implants and adhesion.
c) Do not apply heat directly to the abdomen, because it may worsen the inflammation and period pain.
B. Under Water Massage
Under water massage is one of many treatments has been used by hypnotherapist to release tension of the pressure for patient who can not endure the pain in the open air massage.
II. How underwater massage effects women with endometriosis
1. It is said under water massage, may help to release the qi stagnation in the abdomen region, including the liver thereby, it helps to increases the liver function in carbohydrate synthesis and protein and fat metabolism resulting in decreasing the risk of hormone imbalance of prostaglandins family which controls the uterine muscle and menstrual cramps.
2. Under water massage also helps to increase blood flood the abdomen region thereby it reduces the tension of the uterine muscles that causes over contraction and heavy period flow for women with endometriosis in the abdomen.
3. Water pressure from the jets can alleviate the muscle tightness caused by nervous tension in the brain resulting in lessening the over active muscles in abdomen causing menstrual cramps.
4. Water pressure from the jets is also helps to stimulate the blood flow to nervous system that is necessary for brain cell nourishment resulting in reducing the nervous tension that causes symptoms of endometriosis.
5. Under water massage is said to helps improve the lymphatic circulation, thereby it helps to increase the removal of interstitial fluid from tissues resulting in lessening the risk of fluid retention for women with endometriosis.
C. Under Water Exercise
Under water exercise is one many types of hydrotherapy that has been used to strengthen the weak muscles, restore joint motion following injury, clean and heal burned flesh and increase muscle function.
II. How hydrotherapy—under water exercise effects endometriosis
1. Under water exercise is said to increase the circulation of blood to the abdomen region, thereby it not only reduces the muscle tension that causes menstrual cramps but also decreases the period flow caused by over active of uterine muscles.
2. Under water exercise also helps to increase the blood flow to the digestive system resulting in enhancing the production of stomach acid that is necessary for women with endometriosis to absorb vital vitamins and minerals during menstrual cycle.
3. It is said to increase the function of lymphatic circulation, thereby it helps to decrease the risk of water retention in the body tissues and breast tenderness.
4. Under water exercise also increases the blood flow to the nervous system resulting in lessening the nervous tension that causes symptoms of endometriosis including emotional and physical stress, anxiety and depression.
5. It is said to helps the liver in carbohydrate metabolism that increases the levels of energy resulting in reducing the the symptoms of tiredness, fatigue, sleeplessness, etc.
D. Ice and Water therapy
Ice and water is one many types of hydrotherapy that has been used in ancient time in Chinese history to rejuvenate the body by improving the functions of internal organs as well as detoxifying the body toxins.
II. How hydrotherapy–ice and water effects endometriosis
1. Ice and water therapy is said to bring in blood flow to the capillaries in the body including the small veins in the abdomen region, thereby it helps to decrease the heavy period flow and reduce the tension of uterine muscles resulting in lessening the menstrual symptoms for women with endometriosis.
2. It also helps to improve the function of circulatory function by increasing the oxygen levels in the blood that are essential for the white blood cells in fighting against forming of free radical and foreign invasion including the endometrial implants and adhesion.
3. Ice and water therapy also helps to strengthens the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems, thereby it helps to reduce the symptoms of nervous tension such as muscle cramps, anxiety, depression and emotional and physical stress.
4. It also helps to detoxify the environment toxins accumulated in the body including the liver resulting in strengthening the liver function in carbohydrate metabolism that helps to increase energy for the body needs and reducing symptoms of endometriosis such as tiredness, fatigue, headache and loss of memory, etc.
E. Cold Compresses
Cold compress one of the most commonly used methods in hydrotherapy. It uses the mineral components of water to heal or relieve a wide variety of illnesses including inflammatory conditions.
II. How cold compresses effects women with endometriosis
1. It is said that cold compress helps to improve the circulatory system by stimulating the blood flow to the body vital organs thereby it increases the oxygen and nutrients to the body cells resulting in improving the transmitting of the cells in nervous system and lessening the body’s tension and symptoms of endometriosis.
2. It is also helps to strengthen the liver function in carbohydrate metabolism that helps to strengthen the immune system in fighting against the invasion of bacteria, virus and irregular cell growth including the endometrial cell in the abdomen.
3. Cold compress also helps to bring in blood flow to the abdominal region, thereby it helps to calm the muscle in the abdomen resulting in lessening the menstrual cramps caused by over active uterine muscles.
4. It not only reduces the risk of inflammation caused by physical impact that injure the internal body tissues but also helps to regulate the inflammation caused by endometrial implants and adhesion.
5. Cold compress is said to helps stop or reduce bleeding, thereby it decreases the heavy blood flow for women with endometriosis during menstruation.
F. Hot Compresses
Hydrohterapy– hot water compress is the one of the oldest type of hydrotherapy, it has been used in many cultures including China, Japan in stimulating the immune system in fighting against diseases based on thermal effects.
II. How hot compresses effect women with endometriosis
1. It is said to helps to detoxify the body toxins which have been accumulated through environment contact or micro-organism secretion, thereby it helps to strengthen the immune system in fighting against invasion of foreign bacteria, virus and endometrial cells developing in the wrong region.
2. Hot water compress besides increases the liver function in fat and protein metabolism resulting in lessening the tension of nervous system that causes over active muscle movement in the uterus, it also reduces the symptoms of emotional and physical stress, anxiety and depression.
3. It is said that hot water compress also increases the fluid circulation in the lymphatic system resulting in reducing water retention in the body tissues and breast tenderness in the breast during menstrual cycle.
4. It also to increase the function of digestive system in absorption of vital vitamins and minerals that are usually found lacking in the women with endometriosis during menstrual cycle.
G. Sitz Baths
Hydrotherapy–sitz bath is one form of hydrotherapy treatment, it is a bath to cover the buttocks, upper thighs and lower abdomen with just enough water. It has been used for women with abdominal pain during menstrual cycle.
II. How sitz bath effects women with endometriosis
1. Short cold sitz bath
a) Nervous sytem
Short cold sitz bath helps to reduce the nervous tension that causes irregular muscles movement in the body including the uterine muscle resulting in decreasing the menstrual cramps caused by endometriosis in the abdomen.
b) It helps to increase the immune system by provide the cells with more oxygen and nutrients through increasing blood flow. By strengthening the immune system, it reduces the risk of irregular cell growth in the wrong places in the body such as endometrial cell growing in the abdominal region.
c) Short sitz also increases the function of digestive system in absorption of essential vitamins and minerals for the body need.
2. Alternating hot and cold water sitz bath
1. Alternating hot and cold water sitz bath helps to stimulate the digestive system including the large intestine in moving stool resulting in lessening the constipation and pain caused by endometrial implants and adhesion attached to secretion organs.
2. It also helps to reduce the inflammation by increasing the function of immune system infighting against the forming of endometrial implants and adhesion.
3. Alternating hot and cold water sitz bath also help to release the blood stagnation in the abdominal region, thereby, it helps to increase blood flow to the region resulting in lessening the period pain and menstrual flow for women with endometriosis.
Since there are many more types of hydrotherapy that we have not mentioned here, if you need more information, please consult with your local hydro-therapist.